The LEADER approach has been implemented in rural areas across Europe for over 30 years and financed through the European Agriculture Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD) since 2007. In the 2014-2020 programming period LEADER as ‘Community Led Local Development’ (CLLD) included the other European Structural and Investment (ESI) funds. For the 2023-2027 period this includes European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), European Social Fund+ (ESF+) and European Maritime Fisheries and Aquaculture Fund (EMFAF). The four funds can be used individually to implement CLLD or combined as ‘multi-funds’ in order to add value and increase their impact.
The workshop will provide the opportunity to exchange experiences and share practical solutions for the improvement of implementation of multi-funded CLLD and give an overview of multi-funding across the EU. The workshop will also gather ideas on how to best utilise multi-funded CLLD in the future programming period.
Specifically, this workshop will:
- Explore different approaches to and experience of using a multi-funded approach to CLLD in the Member States;
- Explore the main planning, design and implementing challenges which face multi-funding and identify and share practical solutions that work well at both programming and local level;
- Highlight the specific objectives which positively suggest the use of multi-funding;
- Understand how the uptake of multi-funded CLLD can be increased through the unlocking of dedicated funds, particularly through ERDF and ESF+; and
- Identify next steps for facilitating the use of multi-funded CLLD, in the current and next programming period.
The workshop will be open to LEADER and CLLD stakeholders from all Member States and across all four European Structural and Investment funds. It will be of particular interest to Managing Authorities, Paying Agencies, National Networks and representatives of Local Action Groups.
The event will also include 'travelling workshops' to see multi-funded CLLD at local level.