Women play a crucial role for the development and economic growth of EU rural communities. Yet their key role is too often ‘invisible’, not recognised, and rural women continue to face greater difficulties, compared to men, at accessing and maintaining stable employment and taking part in decision-making processes. Traditional gender roles often amplify gender inequalities.
The EU is committed to improving the situation, notably through the EU Rural Action Plan, by supporting the uptake of female entrepreneurship, women’s participation in decision-making and the provision of adequate services in rural areas.
The Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) will continue supporting gender equality in rural areas through the new CAP Strategic Plans (2023-2027) and particularly under Specific Objective 8, promoting employment, growth, representation in decision-making processes, participation in farming businesses, social inclusion and local development. However, the CAP cannot provide the sole support for accomplishing these aims; therefore, enhanced awareness and integration of all available and relevant EU and national funding tools and policies is needed.
In this context, the workshop Advancing gender equality in rural areas in the EU will aim to enhance the understanding of current challenges faced by women in EU rural areas, share successful experiences and practices aimed at supporting rural women from different Member States and explore possible solutions that can be promoted through the CAP Strategic Plans and other EU funding tools and policies.
The event is organised in collaboration with the French National Rural Network, the Grand Est Region, the Rural Network of Grand Est Region and ANCT – National Association for the Cohesion of Territories.
The workshop will take place 15 November 2022, with field trips on 16 November to visit relevant projects. The working language will be English.
We invite you to check this event webpage regularly for updates and to follow the EU CAP Network on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn for live updates (#ruralwomen) during the event.
- Striving for a Union of Equality - The Gender Equality Strategy 2020-2025, European Commission
- Gender Equality Strategy - Achievements and key areas for action, European Commission
- The professional status of rural women in the EU, study commissioned by the European Parliament (2019)
- Rural Connections magazine 2/2020, especially the articles ‘Increasing diversity in European agriculture: including women’, S. Shortall, p. 19 and ‘Women as agents of social innovation in rural areas’, C. Dalla Torre and E. Ravazzoli, p. 21
- Mapping the state of women’s equality region by region, DG Regio
- European Court of Auditors, Gender mainstreaming in the EU budget: time to turn words into action, special report 10/2021
- gender equality | rural region
- Andolsheim, France
- CAP Implementation
- AndolsheimAndolsheim, France
- CAP Implementation Contact Point